Thursday, February 15, 2007

Some Catching Up: Managerial Economics

I was at Love Field in Dallas waiting for my Southwest flight to arrive to Austin and I was studying for my GMAT. The Princeton Review tome I was using caught the eye of a fellow traveller who informed me -- without my solicitation -- that he had just finished his MBA and he waged wars with economics. I understand why.

I took three economics courses as an undergrad and a handful of calculus courses involving differential equations. Most of my classmates did not. This course was a matter of rehashing unused tools for me. Most of my classmates have waged similar battles my informant at the airport waged.

Our course is divided into the three distinct areas of microeconomics:

  1. Individual Consumer Theory
  2. Production (Firm) Theory
  3. Market Theory

Each involves equations most have never seen. But the abstract calculus is not the stumbling block. I've discovered that my struggling classmates are trying to master the equations and not the principles of economics. Plugging in numbers and memorizing equations will not help you in this course. Thinking intuitively about the subject matter at hand will.

Focus hard on mastering the concepts in this course and the equations will make more sense.