Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Should you get an MBA?

I evaluated this question for two years prior to beginning at SMU. My thoughts and research led to a Business Week article about the Personal MBA: the PMBA is the offspring of Josh Kaufman and Seth Godin, though Kaufman put the idea into practice. The PMBA espouses the following:

"The Personal MBA is an experiment in educational entrepreneurism. Instead of dropping $100,000 on a traditional MBA program, PMBA members believe it's possible to get a great education by reading good business books and discussing them with each other."

The "Instead of..." portion no longer applies to me since I am now dropping said coinage on said education. I have not, however, abandoned the PMBA because I still see great value in its application.

Thus, I am beginning this journal to follow my synthesis of self-directed study and the more formal MBA program.